Wednesday, April 18, 2012

World Language Day and ideas...

Today, I took all of my Spanish III, PreAp, IV and AP students to World Language Day at University of Northern Colorado. This day is full of cultural activities, competitions, and opportunities for the students to speak the target language. It is also is a chance for the students to get a small glimpse of a college campus.

My AP students were the only ones that competed, in extemporaneous speaking. They were given a questions, two minutes to prepare, and two to three minutes to present...with no notes. Both of the students were disappointed in their performance, but I applaud them putting themselves out there and trying. My other students were excited to compete next year.

All of the students participated in a variety of activities, from dancing, to bingo, to soccer. They had a great time and many were "caught" using the target language. I am very proud of them all.

Being at this event gave me some ideas for how I can implement more speaking events in the classroom. Next year, I am going to have the 3's plan a speaking event. First semester it will be for the 2's, second semester for the 1's. I am imagining them setting up the room like a store, cafe, bus station, whatever they decide. Then they will ask the lower levels questions, award prizes, etc. I think it would be a cool way to get them all talking, and something to look forward to as they move up the "food chain". It would be a great "project" without having to be a huge thing that I grade! (bonus!)

On a side note, I just have to say how great my students are. My day started with a students bringing me a hot chocolate from Starbucks. Then, all of the kids were assembled and ready to go ON TIME, which was 20 minutes before classes start. When it was time to leave, all of the kids were assembled ON TIME. As if that was not enough, on the way back, multiple kids thanked me for taking them on the field trip. I love my students, and I would not want to teach anywhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment