Saturday, August 15, 2020

7 last minute ideas for #virtualclass

 It is almost here, FINALLY! I am so tired of professional development and agonizing over every last assignment and detail of class. I have never been more ready to get started. The 2020 school year starts here fully virtual on MONDAY! So here are some last minute tips that are helping me:

1. Have a daily check in form. -  I will not be able to judge students moods when they walk into the room, which I think is a crucial part of how class goes for the day. I created a quick Google Form. The one for the first day includes some questions about their background in Spanish as well.  When creating a Google Form, don't forget a question for their name.

2. Print those rosters. Print them in a spreadsheet format (it is a report choice in Infinite Campus) so you can quickly note nicknames, attendance, grades. Also do a run through of names so you don´t butcher them too badly on the first day. If it is a tough name make sure to ask how the student pronounces it....and try to say something positive!

3. Set those alarms! - The alarm to wake up is important, but I have set alarms on my phone for 5 minutes before each class starts so I can remember to get logged into the class meeting so students can get in. Did you know that if you use the class meeting code through Google Classroom, students can´t enter before you do? Works for nicknamed meetings too. 

4. Post ¨Getting Started¨ items - There are many students and parents with questions and having a few things posted they can do right away not only makes me look organized, but makes them a little more relaxed as well. I posted the syllabus with a Google Form to indicate acceptance, the code to join Remind, and the code to join the Flipgrid class. 

5. Reread all the directions - I know, I know. Students are not famous for their direction reading ability. However, it is our job to OVEREXPLAIN. Try not to give any excuses to a student for not doing the work. If possible, even have someone else read them to try to make them as clear as possible, especially in these first days.

6. Host a live Q&A - I sent a message to all parents and students with a meeting code (nicknamed of course) and a time so that they could come a a Google Meet and have the chance to ask questions. I did it on our Open House day. I had a meet from 3-4 and from 7:30-*=8. I had about twenty parents/students show up and they got the chance to ask some questions, and I had the chance for some one-on-one interaction with a few of my students.

7. Have a mantra - Mine is positive change. All of these changes in the world are happening because we needed to make positive changes. I am going to try to project this idea (especially the positive part) as much as humanly possible. I know virtual wasn't the start most wanted, but there are some great things about it. (How am I doing?) This also helps when there is one more meeting, one more PD, etc. Just keep saying it to yourself and try to project it.

I hope this helps. Wishing everyone a great start to the year. I know many have directives that are challenging to implement, but just focus on those relationships with the students. It will be a year of changes, but we've got this!


4 comments:

  1. Hola Sra Witten! Currently student teaching in an online Spanish classroom right now. I love all of the strategies you have listed here! My MT and I have used the majority of these at one point or another, but I love the idea of a live Q&A! We've held office hours for students after synchronous classes and we've had parent-teacher conferences, but I think a live Q&A is an excellent way to further connect our students and their families. Thanks for these excellent tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola! Remote learning is so tough- but your suggestions can definitely make it easier to get through! I love that you said to have a "mantra". I never have thought of doing that formally, but I think it would be a great addition to my class and would instill a great sense of class community. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the challenges of virtual schooling, there are many ways to make the most of it. Here are seven last minute ideas:

    1. Get organized with a school planner.
    2. Make use of Alpha Omega Publications coupons for curricular resources.
    3. Keep a daily or weekly routine.
    4. Get creative with online learning tools.
    5. Take advantage of free online resources.
    6. Connect with other parents

    ReplyDelete
  4. and manage your losses. Although luck is important But you can increase your chances ดูบอลออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete